Why do people hate Father’s? The TV, Stores, Magazines, Organizations, Advertisers, America, Cats -- just about everybody.
It’s not difficult to notice that for Mother’s Day the entire month of May is devoted to ‘Mom’. There are pastel posters everywhere with all kinds of slogans, special commercials with fancy jingles, charity walks with celebrities raising money for all kinds of women causes. And who can escape the ads for gift suggestions:
- $10 Talking Greeting Cards
- Flowers with fruit in the vases
- Shopping gift cards
- $70 Champagne Brunches
- Engraved anything
- Custom memory books
- Spa Makeovers
- Getaway Trips without husband/kids/anybody remotely related
- Garage Floor Coating
- Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing
- Search and Rescue Headlamps
- Outdoor Storage Shed
- Whole House Air Duct Cleaning
- Free beer for Dad with purchase of 3 lunch entrees and 3 drinks
- Car Wash and Detail Kit (for Mom’s Lexus I guess…)
Maybe by the end of the week they’ll be suggesting things like gas cards as the perfect Father’s Day gift.
It really is much simpler than that – I would be perfectly happy going on a family outing to my favorite eating place, taking a long uninterrupted nap, and getting some hand-made art that I can hang up at work with a note saying that if she becomes the first woman president it's all because of me.
And if I happen to get a floating waterproof table tennis, or a beer holster - that would be nice too.