Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Back from Disney World…I Need a Vacation!

When I finally rested my head on my own pillow at 2 am last night, I reflected on the last 7 days:

Things I didn’t enjoy:
-Spending about $50 on popcorn because my daughter became addicted to the stuff like it was crack.
-Dodging and getting hit by “extremely overweight people” on those little rascal motor scooters!
-Florida weather turning on us: 55 daytime high, 39 nighttime low in the middle of our vacation!! (what gives?!)

A few things I’m going to remember forever:
-My daughter asking for popcorn at every popcorn cart -“I want popcorn” in a low-voice, over and over again. I counted 48 one time.
-Eating lunch in “the castle” with the Princesses at Cinderella’s Royal Table. My daughter loved this.
-Flying 800,000 miles to Disney World from L.A. and what’s my daughter’s favorite ride? The playground.
-Daughter falling asleep at the Epcot Candlelight Procession during the trumpet blowing part, and then waking up suddenly afterwards when somebody dropped their drink.
-My daughter bumping her head at the Epcot’s Canada pavilion, then saying in tears “Daddy! I bump my head on Canada!!”

And for those who are thinking of going, some recommendations (of course they all have to do with food…):
Teppan Edo (Japanese Restaurant) at Epcot. I’ve been to Japan and I never saw any cooktop show this fancy.
Le Cellier (Canadian Restaurant) at Epcot. Oh. My. God. This was the BEST steak I’ve ever had. You Canadians sure know how to make meat! If you all eat like this, I’m moving.
Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge) Oddly enough, this was a buffet. I usually HATE buffets, but the food was awesome – Exotic African foods from, I think, 6 or 50 countries...
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show (Polynesian Resort) Nothing against Kauai, but this show was better than the crap we saw out there. And the fire guy must have been on drugs because I swear he practically lit himself on fire. And the food was pretty good too - especially the BBQ pork ribs.
California Grill (Contemporary Resort) On the fence with this one -- the view is amazing and the service was great. And they were especially accommodating for a toddler -- when our bread came out, they brought her Goldfish crackers on a fancy dish. And her 4-cheese pizza was tasty. The big downside are the prices.

Potty Training Update: Don’t Do It At Disney World…
God knows I tried...
1st attempt -- We were waiting in line to see Goofy and he had to leave for 5 minutes (we were told to get Hot Cocoa, in reality to switch people.) I told my daughter Goofy had to go poopy on the potty.
She told me Santa was bringing him presents.

2nd attempt -- During the Princess lunch, the wife took her to use the Royal Restroom (yes, they have them in the castle.) I told my daughter that’s were all the Princesses go poopy on the potty.
She came back and said she didn't see any in there. Apparently, she went looking under the stalls.

3rd attempt -- We were waiting in line to see Pluto and he had to leave for a 5 minute break. I told my daughter Pluto had to go poopy on the potty.
She told me “NO, doggies go poopy on the floor!!!”

"Watch your step, Pluto poops around here..."

30 comments:

Whit said...

Is that why they call Canada "America's hat."

Glad you guys had fun. We're planning one soon ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a glorious time! We are now planning our annual trip down there for February. And I can relate about those FRICKING scooters!

Glad you got back safely!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

LOL about the potty comments! Thank goodness no one ever steps in Pluto's messes! And, yeah, the playground---it was the highlight for our daughter too. Figures, huh?

slow panic said...

I'm sorry to laugh at the pain of your potty training attempts. I have so been there. She will eventually get around to it.

Sounds like you had a good time at DW. I totally need a vacation every time we return from that place.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

You know, when the hubby and I were down there a couple of weeks ago, I did see Pluto squatting every now and then... bastard dog. Pooping on the hand that pays him.

Hey! Did you see Rafiki at the Magic Kingdom? That's our cousin Kate! Yeah, probably not. Oh, well, you've seen one Rafiki, you've seen them all.

Redneck Mommy said...

It's a little known fact that we Canadians eat well...we have to stay warm and stave off boredom while trapped beneath the mound of snow that threatens to suffocate us.

Welcome back.

wayabetty said...

What a smarty pants you got there! I have two words for you...peer pressure! My 2.5 y/o daughter goes to pre-school 3 days/wk and seeing her friends on the potty forces her to peepee in the potty too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendations! They come at a perfect time for us, as we have a trip planned in mid-January. Regarding the potty training, I'm a little worried because our son has *just* figured it out, and I'm hoping that the change in scenery doesn't cause some sort of regression. better bring some pullups just in case...

BTW, are they still selling those refillable plastic mugs - the ones where you pay like $15 and get free drink refills at your hotel food court the whole time you're there? They had something like that the last time that we stayed, and we practically overdosed on all of the free Icees we got with them. Now that the weather is getting chilly, we might even try the hot cocoa this time.

11111111 said...

39 in Florida? Holy crap! It's -1 (30) up here right now--and this is warm for this time of year.

Thanks for the Can Con, oh, and uh, watch your heads.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Denguy -- Anything below 50 is freezing to us Californians.

choosydad.com -- I don't know...
Usually we don't drink regular soda and I sure didn't see any Icee machines in our hotels' food court. Maybe I should have looked closer.
(Oh and we stayed at the Port Orleans.)

wayabetty -- We totally need something like that. Right now she see's her cousins but not older kids all day.

Beck said...

It's true - Canada= all steak, all the time. In fact, I'm off to have my hearty breakfast of steak RIGHT NOW.
We took a trip with The Girl while we were potty training her and just brought her potty with us. Boy, we thought we were pretty smart until we were the people pulled over on the side of the highway with the kid peeing in the back of the station wagon.

Mad said...

Ok, all these potty training stories are cracking me up. Santa is putting panties in our daughter's stocking but I never dreamed of using him as a motivator. That's brave.

After having Miss M all but trained at 2 1/2, day care came along and the stress of it all sent her back to square 1. Tomorrow, her 11 day Christmas break starts. I plan to throw out all diapers and just go feral until it's a done deal. Plastic Christmas table cloths can double as couch covers, right?

Kelly said...

Sounds like a great trip- my boys also had changethesubjectitis when it came to potty training too!

The Real Mother Hen said...

What a cool vacation you have had! Why didn't you ask us to go along? We would have made it a lot *better* ehehe (evil smile)! :)
Your daughter is so wise about the doggies poppy on the floor remark! :)
Oh yeah, last but not least, have a happy holiday!

Unknown said...

THis is my first time here and I had a great laugh! THanks. I will be visiting more often!

Ben and Bennie said...

I usually have a smartass remark but the pic of your daughter just reminded me our visit there when she was all about princesses. Damn you, Tony! You about made me cry!

I gotta find some KFC to feel better.

mama speak said...

I'm so cracking up about the potty comments. seriously, when she's ready she'll do it. Until then it's really a lot more work for you. But hey, your call. I know cause the 4YO was a full year of "training". #2 very interested has peed in the potty several times, pooped 2x and asks to use the potty after she goes in her diaper EVERY time. She's even started asking before now. But until she starts asking "before" regularly I am NOT doing the whole run to the bathroom thing. I just don't have the energy.
The thing that cinched it for #1 is going to daycare/preschool & seeing all the other kids doing it. (Plus they have low to the ground toilets which helps.) #2's interest is entirely based on the fact that she wants to do EVERYTHING her sister does.

Anyway, sounds like a really fun trip. And don't you know, princesses would NEVER do something as vile as tooting, much less pooping. jeez! Happy Holidaze!

Jenster said...

And to think you could have driven to Disneyland. LOL

Dad Stuff said...

I think I would like to go anywhere with food and 55 degrees.
Sounds like a great trip.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Jenster -- Driven? I could have just walked to our nearby park...

mama speak -- Yes, the peer-pressure factor is an extremely powerful force - as I'm told.
I may need to rent a kid.

Kelly Malloy -- She really scares me when she changes the subject. I always think to myself "She's 2! What's she's going to be like when she's 12?"
And then I get scared...

nonlineargirl said...

The part I can't understand is why people from LA went to Florida for vacation. It just seems wrong. After my family moved away from Florida to California, we never went back.

Darren said...

We're going to Le Cellier for the first time in April. My daugher and I love the popcorn too. Did you get a tub from every park? Where'd you stay?

Blog said...

Your daughter is TOO FUNNY! How cute is she!!!??!! I love her! :)

kittenpie said...

Wasn't she always addicted to crackcorn?

And here, let Canada send you a kiss for that booboo - mwah! (Hey, that was for the kid!)

Creative-Type Dad said...

kittenpie -- Yes! She had a run with 'crackcorn' about a year ago. And now it's back with a vengeance...

Darren -- We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside - that place is huge!

Whirlwind said...

I have a friend who goes there twice a year. The girls would love to go, but I am afraid of travaling that far with all of them.

carrie said...

And her favorite ride was the playground!

Love it!

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

Sarah said...

Merry Christmas from the Lemony family to the CTD family.

Give the little princess a hug from me (if that doesn't seem too weird!)

Creative-Type Dad said...

Whirlwind -- twice a year? Wow, that's brave.

1A said...

Do you suppose they put real crack on the popcorn? Maybe that's why it's so expensive/addictive.