Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter 2007: Party Like It’s 1999


Easter weekend was fun – on Saturday the wife organized a small get-together for my birthday with some close friends. Eating delicious fancy Thai food (thanks Michele!) among a bucket of KFC AND “party-sized” Popcorn Chicken (that’s right - “party-sized”), drinking fancy wine, making Martini’s (fruity ones like pomegranate – a “real” mans man’s drink…) and mixing just about anything that was liquid with Vodka (thanks Rick!) that makes an old guy like me want to fall asleep by 8:30 (and then sleep-in until 12 the next day – sorry Jesus.) Oh and did I mention a small crowd of kids, including my own, running around nearly eating stuff off the floor (it was clean- so it’s all good, right?)
I couldn’t have asked for a better birthday (Note to Colonel Sanders: Make the party size popcorn chicken MUCH bigger.)

Easter was another experience. I went solo, with the daughter, to my family’s annual Easter Egg Hunt and Steak BBQ Extravaganza (yeah, that’s what it's really called) while the wife was at home doing homework for her GMAT prep class.
Last year my daughter had no idea what was going on, so the only festive ‘kid-thing’ she did was take a picture with the Easter Bunny (who she just looked at with no reaction.) This year -- well, let me just say, she has discovered those plastic Eggs have candy in it. She was practically smashing the things on her forehead trying to get the M&M’s or Jelly Beans out. There’s nothing like a shivering kid with a messy face repeating “Yummmmmmy…(heh, heh, heh….)” like a mad scientist while occasionally shaking her butt (the wife must have taught her that.) When we got home, I had to remove the contraband (while her back was turned playing with the Easter Basket) and eat it all just to make sure it was permanently removed from the premises (while shaking my butt.)

Because I know I won’t be able to get away with that move next year without a fight.

21 comments:

Whit said...

Anything with "martini" in the name is still a man's drink, no matter how much fluff you put in it.

Darren said...

Don't sweat the kids eating off the floor. It's physically impossible to get germs on Holy Saturday.

Maria said...

Fruit flavored martinis...I could drink them for breakfast.

Bad mother...

Pageant Mom said...

I won't get my kids sobered up until the next holiday... (nothing like caffeine, sugar, and food dye to liquer a kid up good!!)

Kfc & fine wine - now THERE's a Party :o)

happy birthday!! :o)

Ruth Dynamite said...

Yes, good luck getting a single jelly bean next year. But at least you'll have a steak BBQ extravaganza and a birthday! (Happy Birthday!)

Radioactive Tori said...

Yesterday I was whining that we have too much candy at our house, but what I am really mad about is that there is nothing that I like. We have so much candy that it takes up an entire counter in our kitchen. I'm thinking we will finish it by next Easter...maybe.

dennis said...

the imps ate so much candy that on monday they both complained of tummy aches and I sat there and laughed and laughed and laughed...then wife.imp walked in and I realized that it was time to daddy-up!

Diana said...

Yummy...steak BBQ extravaganza......can I come next year???

Anonymous said...

It was Peanut's first egg hunt she could participate in, too. Luckily, she scored quarters and not additional chocolate.

Creative-Type Dad said...

radioactive girl -- Same here. I wish my daughter would have gotten more chocolate rather than jelly beans.

Pageant Mom -- KFC & Wine sounds like a party idea that could sweep the nation.

Clare's Dad -- I forgot about those rules. Now I don't feel as bad.

Kate said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a fun one. We of course had winter coats on here in Ohio, so no egg hunting for us outdoors. Just the obligatory hidden basket in the house from the "easter bunny".

kittenpie said...

Happy Birthday!

yeah, steal the candy and limit it while you still can... We dole out a piece a day - small pieces - and make it last as occasional treats, but another year or two, and I suspect that will be a mite tougher!

J. A. Blackburn said...

"She was practically smashing the things on her forehead..." love it!!

Hey by the way, you've been nominated for the "Hottest Daddy Blogger" at the Blogger's Choice Awards!

Creative-Type Dad said...

Jenny -- Wow! That's cool. "Hottest Daddy Blogger" - does that mean I have to take my shirt off?

sweatpantsmom said...

Sounds great. But you know, that's not really chicken underneath all that batter... (insert latest urban legend here.)

My husband's birthday was Easter weekend, too. I think he felt cheated.

11111111 said...

Came here from Alpha Dogma.

"Because I know I won’t be able to get away with that move next year without a fight"

No, sir, you won't. My two-year-old son can actually take me in a fair fight when candy is involved.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated, Tony! Sounds like you had fun. Nothing spells birthday party like vodka and fried chicken!

Lainey-Paney said...

That's funny...
I read you blog about the weekend, and it was amazingly similar to mine!

I hosted a party for my husband's birthday.
We took our little one to hunt eggs,and Easter was meaningless to him last year. This year, he discovered candy. Easter was all about the candy.

And, I applaud your wife for staying home & doing homework. That's where my butt should have been. Instead, I'm now counting down the hours until my paper is due!
[so, what the hell am i doing blogging???]

Creative-Type Dad said...

Lainey-Paney -- blogging, yes - I know what you mean. It's sad isn't it?

MetroDad -- And not only fried chicken, but Popcorn chicken. Pure genius!

Denguy -- yeah, I've seen the dark side of moxing candy and toddlers. I cringe.

sweatpantsmom -- you mean it's not chicken? Well, at least it tastes like chicken, that's what really matters...right? (gulp)

Whirlwind said...

Moe would shake each egg before putting it in her basket, just to make sure there was something inside.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Whirlwind -- mine just started opening them up. I guess when she's older she'll learn to just shake first.