Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Things That Cheer Me Up These Days


With all the recent drama, its been a little tough to get back into my old self. I’ve always made it a point not to dwell on “bad” things, but to focus more on the positive. It’s not that I ignore the bad; I just never really forget.
Anyhow, a few things that make me feel pretty good about life right now:

1. Watching my daughter play. She’s nearly 15 months and is does the craziest things. She finds the simplest stuff utterly fascinating. Things like hiding blocks in strange places like my sock drawer, making piles of toys and then sitting on them and laughing, poking the top of her head at the edge of the table so I can just see her eyes, then giggles, hides and does it again. It’s things like this that makes the worse days seem not so bad.

2. My wife. I can’t even explain how lucky I am. She can sense anything I’m thinking or feeling. It’s creepy, like mental telepathy in a David Lynch movie (minus the midgets on tricycles).

3. Videos posted on YouTube by strange people with the same humor as me.
I admire these people who go through the trouble to do this because now it’s not too much of an effort to find this crazy stuff.

4. The upcoming Food and Wine festival this weekend.
And it’s walking distance from my house, which is a huge plus. Two of my favorite hobbies food and wine. Now if Gary Coleman were there serving wine – well, that would be just too cool!

5. The stuff I’m working on at work. I have to admit I really like my job. I can’t tell anybody what I’m working on, but it’s really, really cool. Whenever I attend a focus group or testing, people really eat this stuff up. One of these days, I’ll write about it. I’m just too afraid company eyes will find this blog and then I’ll end up waking up one day, tied to a cactus, 70 miles outside Vegas.

6. Coming up with costumes ideas for Halloween (I still can’t believe its already October). Last year I wanted to be Colonel Sanders and then dress my daughter up as a chicken and then put her in a bucket. This year, I want to break out my accordion, dress her up like a Monkey and give her a can (to put candy in). But the wife doesn’t think that’s a good idea.

13 comments:

Radioactive Tori said...

Love love love your halloween idea! Too funny!

Plus, you are killing me with curiosity on what the heck you are doing at work!

Anonymous said...

Let us know what you decide to dress up as. No, even better....share a picture with us!
I LOVE the spooky season. It should be required by law that everyone dresses up for that 1 day of the year.

Ruth Dynamite said...

I love your costume ideas! Your little chicken (or monkey) would get extra candy at my house!

Rob Barron said...

Can't tell us what you do...
Fearful of your bosses/company...
Might wake up in a Vegas desert....

Tony, you either work for the government or the mob. And now that I've said something, I'm afraid for my own well being.

Oh, wait a minute, there's a knock at my door...

dennis said...

Well now...we know that you have a hang-up with cultural icons..

Organ Grinder and monkey--
Col.Sanders and bucket'o'Chicken (I think I'll blog about my work experience there today)

Disney & Top secret work!
You're on the group in charge with Bringing Foghorn Leghorn into the mix of the next Disney-MGM Cartoon character crossover movie!!

Ryan said...

I've just have to say that the hair in the picture is soooo scary. I can't believe that used to be more "cool".

Anonymous said...

I think that sounds like a great costume idea! It's creative and unique. She won't be like the bazillion other Disney princesses out there.

junebee said...

OMG, do the Colonel Sanders one! The PETA whackos in CA will be all OVER you!

metro mama said...

That's a funny picture.

I need help with ideas for halloween for my 16-month-old girl. The more irreverent the better!

dadinprogress said...

What a great post. It's always nice to sit back and review how lucky we all are. You're especially lucky to have so many positives at once, and you're smart to recognize it.

I LOVE that picture. It scares me senseless that we all thought that was cool back then. I may dress my family up like that family for Halloween. We'll be The Mullets, from just down around the bend.

Diana said...

The colonel and his bucket? Love the idea. You'll have to post pics of whatever you guys dress up as...you have great ideas.

Kristen said...

Your halloween ideas are hilarious - I say go for it!!

Amy said...

My husband and I always wanted to be Dick Cavett and Truman Capote in Truman's last interview. I would be Dick. Channing gets to be Truman.

Or we wanted to go as the characters from THX 1138. I lost all my hair two years ago and hubby said he'd shave his head if I would go along with his Halloween idea.

Thank God my hair grew back.