Monday, August 21, 2006

Weekend Drive To The Outlet Shops


Over the weekend my wife insisted we drive an hour away to "the outlets" way out in Camarillo (a place between L.A. and Santa Barbara). This particular outlet, which is coined as a ‘premium outlet’, gets really crowded on the weekends. Why? I'm not sure. From the crowds you'd think they were selling everything for a $1. But that's not the case at all. Most stuff there is just as expensive as normal department stores. I'm really not sure how taking 10% off the retail suggested price is considered "outlet" shopping. When I think of outlet shopping, I'm thinking garage sale pricing where things go for $.25- $5 max. It's all a marketing conspiracy to me.

The most entertaining part of the day trip was the nearby Camarillo Air Show happening overhead. Old planes were doing donuts and making a bunch of loud whining noises like in 1940's war movies (or "pictures" as people over 90 call them). I never really thought about it, but I didn't think places still had Air Shows anymore (didn't they have accidents that closed them down?) I found myself moving the stroller around quickly to avoid being under a stunt airplane – just in case.
When I was a kid my Dad once took my brother and I to the now defunct, El Toro Air Show down at the base in Irvine (which I think is turning into tract houses or some mall) I remember there being a lot of survivalist-type people there tailgating in the parking lot hooting and hollering at the planes overhead. That's about all I remember.

The second most entertaining part of the day was walking past the "Guess?" (Big in the 80's, but really -who shops there anymore?) outlet shop. They had a Dj playing weird dance booty-hip/hop music while a fashion show was going on. It looked something like this:

13 comments:

Ryan said...

I saw the Blue Angels in El Toro in about 1987-88 or so. As far as stores go, we prefer thrift stores because outlets really aren't that great of a bargain, even the Sears outlet for appliances.

Anonymous said...

I was recently at a Polo outlet store. The pants I found that I wanted were $89.

What psycho freak nut considers that an outlet price? I was so stunned. I stood there for like five minutes trying to figure out what the original price must have been if this was the outlet price?

I finally decided I was in hell, and left.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is...thank you! That video made my day. Who knew that Mr. T was such a fashionista?

Unknown said...

Man, this post just made me want to go shopping again....Haha. Loved the video, by the way.

Anonymous said...

looove the video. and wow, i haven't heard about guess jeans in a really long time. *sigh*. I wore them back in the day. i think they may have even been frosted. ouch.

Pendullum said...

Wow...
Just happened upon your site,,,,
Loved the Video...

junebee said...

I agree, outlets aren't ALL that. I got a pair of $70.00 New Balance sneakers for $13.50 this summer. Now THAT'S an outlet price!

MacDill AFB here has a huge air show here every year. I think it was cancelled once or twice but normally it draws an enormous crowd.

Angel Baby said...

Holy Shit, where did you find that video? It was so awful I couldn't make myself stop playing it.

dennis said...

aaaah, the outlet malls where the wife.imp can go and get silk shirts at $7-14 each and dad.imp cannot find a pair of socks under $14.

But there is hope...The GOODWILL stores in my area are still fairly cheap (sic: economical) and aren't wide, arrow collars coming back into fashion?

Creative-Type Dad said...

The only way I would go back to "the outlets" is if Mr. T did commercials saying - "I pity the FOOL who pays retail" and then this fashion show starts.

I'd spend all my money to see that.


O.K. maybe not.

Mel said...

"When I think of outlet shopping, I'm thinking garage sale pricing where things go for $.25- $5 max. It's all a marketing conspiracy to me."

AMEN!

This is why you will nevernevernever see my happy ass at any of those outlet malls. What a ripoff.

MSouders said...

Airshows are alive and well. We visited the air show in Dayton, OH last month, and there is one here Indianapolis this weekend, featuring the USAF Thunderbirds. Air Races take place in Reno next month. I'm not sure how interested your are, but feel free to contact me if you'd like more info.
The video - well, just hilarious!

Thrifty Sister TV said...

I'm loving the irony in Manny's name. And Jeff, well he says he's Jess, but I think Kevin Bacon walks the walk in the Q.T.
Outlets here in the U.K. are full of the crap that they can't shift from the regular stores. Everything is a alarmingly shade of tan, or with an off fit on the crotch. You tell yourself everytime you go not to come back again because it is so dire. But like childbirth, you forget and after a while you back for more.
Ace