Thursday, April 20, 2006

Pet-Parents and Human-Parents


Over the weekend, my wife, daughter and I visited the very posh Fashion Island Newport Beach in the "OC" (Gosh, I remember the days when it was just plain ol' Orange County). This place always intrigues me because it's actually a pretty nice outing when the weather is good, which more than likely is here in So Cal. It's outdoors, much nicer than a "mall", fountains, ponds, places to sit and relax, not too many chain stores but more boutique-y type places. And the crowd is a mixture of Bugaboo-parents and some old guys with the 25-year-old honey (in jewelry stores), which makes this one of my favorite spots for people watching. Oh yeah, and loads of "Pet-Parents" - everywhere. And not just pet owners like normal everyday people, but the kind that call themselves "Pet-Parents" and have little dogs in bags, with stuff on like shoes and even *chuckle* wearing clothes.

While sitting at the Koi Pond, I was sketching, while my wife was showing fish to our daughter... this crazy 'Mrs. Roper with money type' lady comes up to her and says "Look at my baby!!!" while holding up some shaking hairy-rat wearing a spring dress and studded jewelry. Then she went on to say something like "You're lucky- People just don't come up to your baby and touch her like mine!” and then continued on to say maybe it was the stroller that prevented it and how she needed one.

I'm sorry, but I think there is a difference between a real baby and a dog. Don't get me wrong, we have and like our dog. But there is a difference- he's at home where dogs should be. He goes for walks, and to the vet, groomer. But that's about it. He doesn't need clothes or pictures with the Easter Bunny. I know these people have always been around. I've even read about crazy people in the late 1800's putting their dogs in lacy underwear, maybe we're having resurgence and Victoria's Secret will start something? Whatever. Dogs aren't humans and they look stupid dressed up!
  • Fashion Island
  • Muttrolopis
  • USA Today: PetSmart thinks outside the big box, targets 'pet parents
  • 4 comments:

    Ryan said...

    I once had a young woman compare her new little dog to my new little infant. Uh, I don't think she was as tired as I was...

    www.rlundquist.blogspot.com

    Creative-Type Dad said...

    "Tired" is an understatement...

    MrsFortune said...

    Shoes? What the eff? For dogs? The poor thing. I totally agree, dogs look REALLY DUMB in clothes and I always think they look embarassed. Like, they look at you going "this isn't my fault, I swear, it's my crazy owner" and I have these almost undeniable urges to liberate them.

    Creative-Type Dad said...

    Totally! It's funny how dogs really get that embarassed look like "this person is crazy-help me please"...