Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sibling differences...


I did something that I normally don't do often. I had an hour phone conversation with my (only sibling) brother on random issues ranging from family get-togethers, conflicts, to raising kids. After hanging up I thought to myself (again) "How in the world do you grow up with somebody but be completely different" --literally opposite sides of nearly everything. It all comes down to this: I'm even tempered, and he's George Costanza.
He, like me has a daughter except his is 2 years, while mine is 9 months. I really wonder how they're going to turn out when they grow up. Will his daughter see through him and leave home without too much of his influence? Or will she be a smaller version of him. Will my daughter grow up to be level, or will she turn out to be neurotic. God, genetics are a scary thing...
  • National Center for Biotechnology Information: Why are siblings so different?
  • Dr. Spock: Why Are Siblings So Important?
  • 3 comments:

    MrsFortune said...

    I guess it's that whole "nature vs nurture" thing, you know? I have a friend who has triplets (yeah I know, yikes) who are 12 years old ... and they couldn't be more different from each other, so it's weird, what explains that? I haven't got a clue.

    IzzyMom said...

    I'm adopted and I am so much more like my biological parents. It's pretty weird. And my stepmother and stepsister are like the same person. Nature is pretty strong stuff but it doesn't alwasy make sense.

    Creative-Type Dad said...

    I've come to the conclusion that gambling makes more sense that trying to figure this stuff out...