Friday, March 31, 2006

Country music makes me really uncomfortable


Yeah, I know more than half the country listens to this stuff, and something about roots in "American Culture" or whatever, but I really don't like it - at all. In fact, it really makes me a little squirmy, stings my ears, and makes me reconsider techno. If I'm somewhere shopping with my wife and for some odd reason (In Southern California mind you, not Ohio or Georgia-bama) the manager decides to add some Hee-Haw song to the store play list - I want to immediately leave, never to return. I can expect that kind of music in other state, rodeos, western movies, or "themed" restaurants. In cases like that, it's part of the soundtrack/atmosphere. I'm all jiggy with it. But in cases where I'm at a family party, and some uncle who just downed 8 too many beers turns up some twang song about loosing his 18-wheeler, to some hooker, at a truck stop poker game again... I get pretty upset and wonder what kind of world I brought my daughter in to. I guess I can say that about rap songs too, that's another gripe...
  • Really Bad Country Song Titles
  • 1 comment:

    cantellya said...

    I will never forget the very first time I heard country music.
    I was 11 years old, had just moved to Ohio, & this, this "stuff" was playing on the radio. I remember being confused and somewhat scared.
    Oh, the childhood trauma....