Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Teaching My 1-Year-Old To Draw



Last week, when my daughter made her 1-year-old visit to the pediatrician, they had mentioned in passing that now would be a great time to start introducing her to crayons and drawing. "What choo talkin' bout Willis?!"- My eyes popped out of my head, my hair stood up and I nearly jumped out of my pants when I heard this great and unexpected news. Being an artist myself, I just couldn't wait for the day that I could actually draw with my "my" daughter (hopefully teaching her all I know, if she's interested, of course...) I've been teaching on Saturday mornings to H.S. kids for over 3 years now and teaching them has made me figure out my teaching plan for my daughter (if, you know, she's interested of course..). I always thought we had to wait until she was 18-months- 2 years old to understand drawing. But if the doc says now, well then...I'm all for it! Doctor's orders!

Upon learning this happy information I went ahead and dug out some newsprint (smooth surface..) 4 primary color Crayola's (that have been anxiously awaiting this day) and tore small sheets of paper that could fit within her highchair (to keep her in place, concentrating on "the art").

"It" was time. And a sunbeam appeared from the window over her highchair. I got a little teary-eyed. It was time to bring in my student (I mean daughter).

She sat in place and rubbed the paper...
I then started making circles on the paper, and lines, and drew Spongebob...(babbles..)
I then slowly handed her the Crayon and held it in her hand, then guided it along the paper. She resisted. And shoved it in her mouth. (try again)
She tried to bite the Crayon like a cookie. I let her, hoping she wouldn't like the way it tasted and spit it out...(I had to check to make sure they're non-toxic again).
I tried again, this time letting her eat a crayon while I drew circles and lines. She took my Crayon (stared at it like it had 'magical' powers) and shoved it in her mouth too. I'm beginning to wonder what these things taste like...I don't know, cookies perhaps?

Eventually she started beating the wet Crayon against the paper and then realized she was making a mark. Then she threw them, crumbled the paper, and threw that at me.

She might not be ready just yet...

17 comments:

Ruth Dynamite said...

Like dry dog food and random bits of fuzz, crayons are magically delicious! I've heard that the more you nibble on, the better artist you become. Really. It's true.

(I can't believe you hired an Elvis impersonator for her 1st birthday party. Very very funny.)

Radioactive Tori said...

My kids are very artsy and love to draw now, but at the age of one I don't think they did anything but eat the crayons! I will never forget what my one extremely creative son did when he was 2. He colored his legs and feet with purple and green markers until they were completely covered (I thouht I had put the markers high enough he wouldn't be able to reach, but sadly he is also a climber). When I asked him why he would do such a thing, he said he wanted to be a purple and green guy. You just can't argue with that!

Ryan said...

Where did you get that picture?

Creative-Type Dad said...

radioactive girl - that's too cool! I like the way your son thinks.

ryan- I find a bunch of weird pictures on image searches in google. some picts I quickly photoshop myself, some come ready-made.

chichimama said...

Sometimes I think my four-year old isn't ready for art yet. It seems like all of our projects end up with him in the tub and me scrubbing my house from top to bottom...

My daughter is obsessed with eating playdough. Yummm.

dennis said...

LOL Just wait until you got to 'those' restaurants that place crayons in front of your darling girl.

Our imps take them and do two things:
1- tear off the paper wrapper and proclaim as loud and as proud as only imps can 'Look the crayon is naked!' and if we do not immediately gush over the naked wax stick they repeat with MORE volume!!
2- break the crayons in 1/2. Every crayon. Every time.

Angel Baby said...

I can't believe that picture. Good lord, I hope to god that it's photoshopped...

Annabelle eats the crayons too. I've tried several times and have finally figured out that ball point pens work way better than crayons because she's less interested in eating them. Maybe try that? And I do think one is a little early to start that sort of thing, but my girlfriend's daughter draws scribble with crayons with great enthusiasm... she started doing that at 13 months.

I guess you never know what they can do till you try them out on it, right? I met a 23 month old recently on one of those razor skate boards. He was just skating along like he'd been doing it for years... no falling or trouble. It was encouraging.

Overwhelmed! said...

What a cute picture! I had to laugh at this post.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not sure when they get over the knee jerk reaction to eating crayons. My son is 19 months and he's still doing it. Thank goodness for non-toxic!

My son does like to scribble though. :)

Creative-Type Dad said...

O.K...so let me just say. Crayons taste like Starburst, but without the flavor part.

My daughter will eat crayons, but not chicken???

Kristen said...

LOL. One year is a little young, apparently. You know, my oldest turns five next month, and he's only just now able to really "draw" something I tell him to. My three-year-old still basically scribbles and gets frustrated.

junebee said...

I don't think the pediatricians actually try this with their own kids. If they did they would realize how futile it is.
Obviously, they have friends in the crayon industry!

We just tried to get the Blossom to use some crayons, it was suggested at our 18-month checkup. Apparently she is supposed to be saying alot more words too.

Anonymous said...

I don't know; it sounds early to me. But then, all kids are different. When my son was a year old, he was just starting to figure out that some objects were fun to play with. There's no way he was anywhere near ready for coloring and etc.

Anonymous said...

i am an artist also, but my little girl is 3 now, but ever since 2 and a half, she could draw perfect smiley faces that resemble people and sesame street characters like bert ernie and elmo. i have pics to prove it, i found it unbelievable at first , i thought my wife was tricking me until i watched her draw a dozen of them. wow...so far she does only faces.

Anonymous said...

lol I have a one year old daughter. We painted her feet the other day and gave her the paint brush, with the paint still on it! Needless to say, it went to the mouth. I now have a photo of her with white white feet and a squigly white circle around her mouth with the paintbrush held between her four teeth like a rose in a tango. Little monster.

Afdil said...

i remember one day i was painting our porch and then my cousin said, "Ah, now that i know where Habieb (her son, my nephew) learned to draw that bad." lol

Anonymous said...

My daughter was about 11 or 12 months when she started drawing, being an artist aswell I'm also very eager to see what her potential might be. She is now 18 months old and has decided she likes a pen better (when mummy supervises, of course) She could draw circles at 14 months and now at 18 months she draws across the page slowly and carefully, often doing little zig zags, straight lines and even a spiral! She always tries to colour in what she draws and makes an attempt to stay in the lines when colouring in her colouring book. I showed her how to draw around her hand and although she's not quite there yet, she often tries it on her own. Also she's left handed.
Oh, and she's never eaten crayons, maybe the ones we have aren't that tasty.

Anonymous said...

Come on dad... Everytime your daughter was placed by the high chair, and some "object" was placed in her hand - it would taste good & nutrious (i hope) and it would be some meal or snack...
Now why would these crayons be any different. lol

Next time - choose a different spot. perhaps lay on the floor - or turn a cardboard box over to be a table...
All the best with you little student :)