Thursday, June 04, 2009

Tough Love vs. Spanking


Most people think it is improper to spank children, so I have tried other methods to control my kid when he has one of those moments.

One that I found effective is for me to just take him for a car ride and talk.

Some say it's the vibration from the car, others say it's the time away from any distractions such as TV, Video Games, Computer, IPod, etc.

Either way, my kid usually calms down and stops misbehaving after our car ride together. Eye to eye contact helps a lot too.

I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique.

Sincerely,
A Friend



Source: I have no idea who wrote this as it was forwarded to me.

15 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

When I first started reading, it uses male pronouns, and I was all "Wait, doesn't he have a daughter?"

Then I remembered the forward. I tried googling this and found it as far back as last May (2008) with a quick search, so it's been around.

furiousBall said...

hood rides settle almost any tantrum and if they're still fussing a couple quick jerks of the wheel left and right with end the tantrum one way or another

Otter Thomas said...

That ought to do it. Thanks for the idea.

painted maypole said...

my favorite is the little speed monitor in the background

99 mph

;)

Unknown said...

Very cute...

wishful thinking, but cute!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Funny. The idea that you are a bit off kilter and unpredictable might just be the type of discipline that actually works.

ArtistUnplugged said...

I think this only works on young kids, the older ones you simply embarrass them in public. I will let you know though...

Creative-Type Dad said...

painted maypole -- I know! It's the little touches that make it even better...

furiousBall -- Or you can turn on the windshield wipers.

poosemommy said...

I have threatened at least two of my shildren with this form of discipline on many occasions in the past. Usually the 10 hour trip from grandma's: boy, you're on the roof-rack until we get to Memphis, girl, you get the second half of the trip. Cuts down enormously on the bickering in the car...
Mwahahaha!!!

poosemommy said...

um, children?
sorry, i haz teh dumb

Amrita said...

My 7 year old nephew needs this badly.

Amrita said...

I 'd turn on the wind screed n wipers and blast the horn too.

Anonymous said...

thats too funny!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Artist Unplugged has a good point... except that at a certain age they ASK to have you drive around with them hanging from the wipers so they can impress their friends. (Note: they also insist you slouch down really low so you aren't recognized as their parent.)

Sincerely,
Cat Lady

P.S. Can you tell I was spanked regularly as a child?

Kelly said...

I'm keeping this one, just in case.