Friday, June 03, 2011

The Elvis Impersonator at My Son’s 1st Birthday Party


About 5 year’s ago, I wondered if my crazy vision of the ultimate 1st birthday party went a little too far when I hired an Elvis impersonator for my daughter’s 1st birthday party.
When I initially mentioned it to my wife she thought I went completely crazy – something I found ironic since she’s a huge Lionel Richie fan.

Nevertheless to my, and her, amazement Elvis was a huge success. Not only did the parents have fun, but the kids found him extremely entertaining too. They danced around, sang, and were all doing those weird Kung-Fu poses along with him.

It was pretty spectacular.

When the show was over and the guests were leaving, I distinctly remember telling myself, smiling proudly with my arms crossed, “Tony, you done good. Real good. Elvis is MUCH better than a clown, magician, or Bruce Lee impersonator any day.”

Fast forward to about a month ago when my wife asked me if I was going to call the same Elvis impersonator for our son’s 1st birthday party. I wondered – is this now a family tradition that every child from this time forward, generations ahead, should have Elvis at their 1st birthday?

I should hope so.

Last weekend Elvis came, Kunged-Fu’d, and raised the hypothetical roof once again. It was all even more spectacular the second time around.
Then when the show was over and all the guests were leaving, I smiled proudly with my arms crossed and began to tell myself one more time, “Tony, you done good…” the wife interrupted with, “do you think they have Lionel Richie impersonators?”

I hope not. Because that’s COMPLETELY crazy!

"Don't worry little buddy, Daddy will make sure this is a Lionel Richie free zone..."

10 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

That last picture is priceless!

painted maypole said...

will you plan my birthday party? June 20. ;)

Scott said...

I agree! Though I wasn't ever a big Elvis fan (my sister, Elaine, was gaga over him, of course)--he did have a style all his own. And he's so recognizable--unlike Lionel Richie, practically the whole world knows about Elvis! That was a delightful idea--I'm glad your son enjoyed it! And Happy Birthday to him!

Anonymous said...

That last picture is just hilarious!

Beverly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beverly said...

I posted a comment, saw your Lionel Ritchie poster below, and moved my comment to that post. Now you have this mysterious "comment deleted" note. It was me.
I had lost the bookmark for your blog, and couldn't remember the name of the blog. I googled "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and "Lionel Ritchie" and found you right away.

James (SeattleDad) said...

That's pretty darn funny. And you have to have VETO powers on Lionel.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Beverly -- I can't even describe how happy I am to hear how Google views me...

Shadefarm said...

That is great! Too funny.

Sasparilla Sue said...

Elvis and cupcakes...can't go wrong with that!!