Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Girls pursuing Boys in Elementary school?


I'm not that old (early 30's) or out of touch with kids since I teach once a week, but something is happening that I never noticed. I do now, and listen more intently now that I have a baby girl. My friend's 10-year old daughter came home proudly announcing "I kissed a boy today!" to him at dinner. His jaw nearly dropped and asked her who this kid was and where he lives. She went on to explain that she has been pursuing him since the summer. But being an average 10-year old boy he's more interested in skateboarding and video games (Thank God that hasn't changed!). This isn't the first time I've heard or read about this and frankly, it freaks me out! I can't imagine what'll happen when the boys figure this out (dog and cats living side by side, glaciers floating into cities, Gigli 2...).
I always imagined myself scaring these guys the way girls' fathers did to me when I was a teenager. I pictured the knife collections on the walls, with maybe few deer heads, nunchucks, crossbows, karate belts bought off EBay- Something to shake them up a bit and keep them away from my girl. But this changes everything - girls never pursued aggressively, it was always the boys. And never in Elementary school!? Time to rethink that original strategy...
  • Dads and Daughters
  • No comments: