Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Problem With Cookie Monster…And Coloring Pages

I’m not sure when it happened, but my son has somehow developed a downright fear of Cookie Monster.

I never really put much thought into it, but for a 2-year old Cookie Monster is pretty scary. He’s extremely violent when eating cookies, has a pretty scary raspy voice, has those crazy cross-eyes, and his name literally has the word “Monster” in it.

Come to think of it, Elmo would be much different if his name were “Elmo MONSTER.” I don’t think kids would like him as much.

Just yesterday my son was misbehaving and I said to him, “Don’t do that or else…Cookie Monster is going to pay you a visit...”

His near immediate reaction was, “I sorry! I be good!!”

Now if I had said, “Don’t do that or else Elmo is going to pay you a visit.” He probably would have punched a hole in the wall, set it on fire, all while smiling the entire time waiting for Elmo to come out and give him a great big hug.

See – not the same.

The more I think about it… Sesame Street could really capitalize on his scariness to teach good with some simple coloring pages:



3 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

That is too funny! I thought my 3 year old was the only one kind of freaked out by him. He likes him on the show but there was a period of time (pre potty training) where he would tell me about a monster in the downstairs bathroom. Apparently Cookie Monster was hiding in the shower and would go down the drain when I opened the door to show him there was no monster in the bathroom.

James (SeattleDad) said...

That's hilarious. Love that Apple one especially.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Don't steal Apple's patents... LOL.

I hear you that Cookie Monster is downright scary but Elmo's voice... OH, it drives me crazy! Maybe Cookie is there to scare kids and Elmo to annoy parents.